BEE CAVE, TX
BEE CAVE, TEXAS. Bee Cave is at the intersection of State Highway 71 and Farm roads 620 and 2244, twelve miles west of Austin in west central Travis County. It was named by early settlers for a large cave of wild bees found near the site. A post office opened there under the name Bee Caves in 1870 with Martin V. Lackey as postmaster. By 1871 Wiley Johnson was operating a trading post at the settlement. In the mid-1880s the Bee Cave community had a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, a general store, a church, a school, and twenty residents. The population fell to ten in the early 1890s but rose to fifty-four by 1914. The post office was discontinued in 1915, and mail for the community was sent to Cedar Valley. The Bee Cave school was consolidated with the Teck common school district in the 1940s and with the Dripping Springs Independent School District in Hays County in 1951. The population was reported at fifty from the 1940s through the 1980s. In 1990 it was 241, and it grew to 656 in 2000. By that time Bee Cave had schools, parks and recreational facilities, and a public library.
Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BEE CAVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb17), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.