BERRY'S CREEK, TX
BERRY'S CREEK, TEXAS. Berry's Creek, also known as Johnsonville, was on Berry Creek five miles northeast of Georgetown in central Williamson County. John Berryqv, one of the earliest settlers in the county, founded a gristmill on Berry Creek in 1846, on a league of land granted him by the Republic of Texas. By the 1860s the Berry grant was also the site of a store-tavern-stagecoach stop called Berry's Creek, and the scattered community also had, at various times, a blacksmith shop and a gin. The Berry's Creek school, also called Boatner's School, had forty-five pupils and one teacher in 1903. Swedish emigrants came to the area in the late nineteenth century and about 1915 built the Free Mission Evangelical Church. The community had a population of fifty and two businesses in 1941. The school was consolidated with the Georgetown district in 1949. In 1988, though the Texas Almanac still listed the community as having a population of fifty, Berry's Creek no longer appeared on the county map. A population of fifty was reported again in 1990. No population estimate was available in 2000.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BERRY'S CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb30), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.