BETHLEHEM, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)
BETHLEHEM, TEXAS (Upshur County). Bethlehem is on Farm Road 1650 eleven miles southeast of Gilmer in southeastern Upshur County. The site was settled in the early 1850s. A school began operating there around 1900. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a school, a store, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. During the 1950s Bethlehem and nearby Omega formed an independent school district with a high school. The school and church were later moved a mile south to New Bethlehem, and in 1958 the school was consolidated with the East Mountain school district. In the mid-1960s Bethlehem had a church, a cemetery, a store, and a few houses. In 1990 the church and cemetery were still maintained, and Bethlehem reported a population of twenty-five. The population grew to seventy-five in 2000.
Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BETHLEHEM, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb34), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.