BLACKLAND, TEXAS. Blackland is on State Highway 276 four miles southeast of Rockwall in central Rockwall County. The settlement received a post office in 1876. During the 1880s it had a population of 125, three businesses, and a gristmill. Local farmers shipped cotton, wheat, and oats. The population had declined to about fifty by 1900, although the Blackland school employed two teachers and registered seventy-nine students. The post office was closed in 1903. Blackland's population was 114 in 1904, fourteen in 1940, and forty-nine in 1990.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "BLACKLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb44), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.