BLANDLAKE, TEXAS. Blandlake is beside Bland Lake at the intersection of Farm roads 1279 and 3230, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway four miles north of San Augustine in northern San Augustine County. It started in 1901 as a station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe and was granted a post office with the name Stop in that year. In 1903 the name was changed to Blandlake, after the local lake, which was once owned by the Bland family. In 1907 the community had two schools serving seventy-six black pupils and one school serving fifty white pupils. By 1914 Blandlake had fifty inhabitants, the Bland and Fisher Lumber Corporation, a second lumber company, a grocer, and a general store. In 1940 the community had twenty-five inhabitants, a church, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 the community had three businesses and an estimated twenty-five inhabitants. The population remained unchanged in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BLANDLAKE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb48), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.