BONNEY, TEXAS. Bonney is on Farm Road 521 six miles north of Angleton in Brazoria County. The town was established on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1873 and named for a conductor on the Columbia Tap Railroad. By 1889 a local post office had been established, and in 1890 Bonney had a general store. The next six years brought a school and three more businesses, including another general store, a cotton gin, and an express and telegraph agent. In 1895 the town reported a population of seventy-five. By 1906 there was a school with one teacher and twenty students. The post office was discontinued in 1920. In 1955 the town had one business and twenty-five inhabitants. In 1988 the population was ninety-nine. In 1990 it was 339, and in 2000 it grew to 384.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lori Allbright, "BONNEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb59), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.