BOX CHURCH, TX
BOX CHURCH, TEXAS. Box Church is in the timbered region along McKenzie Creek four miles south of Groesbeck in central Limestone County. It was named for a church established in the community in the 1890s. One of the first schools there was established by Joseph H. Powell in the early 1850s. In 1886 Oscar Williams built the first store at the site. Dwindling population forced the school to consolidate with that of Groesbeck in 1950. In 1988 Box Church had two stores, a trailer-manufacturing plant, and a population of forty-five. The population was still forty-five in 2000.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ray A. Walter, "BOX CHURCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb64), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.