BRUNSWICK, TEXAS. Brunswick, sixteen miles southeast of Rusk in southern Cherokee County, was established in 1903 by the Cherokee Orchard Company and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, which developed a demonstration farm there for the scientific cultivation of orchard and garden plants. The farm was supervised by Edward Body, who named the new community after his native town in Canada. A Presbyterian church was built at Brunswick, but no school. Unfortunately, the location proved to be in a "frost pocket," where fruit buds were often nipped. In 1931 the St. Louis Southwestern abandoned the farm, the depot, and the packing plants. One store and a population of forty-five were reported in 1940. In the early 1990s Brunswick was a dispersed rural community with an estimated fifty residents. The town no longer appeared on maps in 2000.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.E. W. Cole, "BRUNSWICK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb88), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.