BRYARLY, TEXAS. Bryarly, in northeastern Red River County, was named for R. T. Bryarly, who settled in the area before 1840. The settlement was a landing point for steamboats on the Red River as early as 1854. It was called Mound City until Joseph L. Bryarly became postmaster in 1892. Its population was fifteen in 1910 and twenty-two in 1920. In 1940 the community had two stores, two churches, a post office, and a population of fifty. By 1956 the post office had been closed. In 1986 Bryarly reported a population of thirty-two and no businesses. In 1991 the population was recorded as five. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "BRYARLY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb91), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.