BUENA VISTA, TX (PECOS COUNTY)
BUENA VISTA, TEXAS (Pecos County). Buena Vista was near Farm Road 11 six miles southeast of Imperial in northern Pecos County. The settlement was originally called Fruitdale. In 1909 land promoters advertised town lots there and promised easy access to markets upon the arrival of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway, then under construction. That same year the Orient Hotel was built at the community. A Buena Vista post office was established in 1910. In 1913, however, the railroad bypassed the town on a more direct route from Girvin to Fort Stockton. Buena Vista had a bank, a school, and a church in 1917. Its estimated population in 1925 was fifty. Farming declined in the area because of irrigation problems, and by the 1950s Buena Vista was abandoned.
Pecos County Historical Commission, Pecos County History (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Glenn Justice, "BUENA VISTA, TX (PECOS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb94), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.