CASH, TEXAS. Cash is on State Highway 34 five miles south of Greenville in south central Hunt County. It was one of several communities established in the mid-1890s by the president of the Texas Midland Railroad, Edward H. R. Green and was originally named Sylvia, in honor of Green's sister. Sylvia quickly became a church and school community for area farmers. Residents, however, wanted to rename the settlement Money, for John A. Money, who owned a store there. When this name was submitted to postal authorities, though, it was rejected and the name Cash substituted. A post office branch opened in 1895 with John A. Money as postmaster. Since its founding Cash has served as a community center for farmers in south central Hunt County, but the town never reported more than 150 residents until 1949, when it claimed 250 residents. Cash's population decreased to fifty-six by 1968 and remained at that figure through 2000.
W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CASH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc21), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.