CHAMPION, TEXAS. Champion, on Champion Creek and Farm roads 1230 and 2319, eight miles southwest of Roscoe in west central Nolan County, began in 1905. Alton Griffin ran the first store at the site, and later a gin and three churches opened there. A local post office operated from 1907 to 1909. Champion's population was fifty in 1940, when the town had a church, a store, and a blacksmith shop. The community also had a school for a time. By 1975 little remained at the site. Champion reported a population of sixteen in 1980 and 1990. The population was eight in 2000.
E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "CHAMPION, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc42), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.