CHANEY, TEXAS. Chaney, on Farm Road 571 four miles east of Lake Leon in central Eastland County, was founded in the early 1880s when the Texas and Pacific Railway came through the area. A post office, possibly known as Chauncey, opened in 1902, with Amos G. Chaney as postmaster. The community did not develop beyond a one-store supply point for local ranches. Its rural school was consolidated with that of Alameda in 1939. Chaney's population was twenty-five in 1940 and thirty-five from 1980 through 2000.
Homer Stephen, The Frontier Postmasters (Dublin, Texas: Dublin Progress, 1952).