CHAPMAN, TEXAS. Chapman, also known as Blossom Hill, is near Trammel's Trace eight miles east of Henderson in eastern Rusk County. The community was named for the family of a pioneer, John Chapman. A member of this family, Henry Chapman, fought at the battle of San Jacinto. The town's first postmaster was Francis M. Bridges, who was appointed in 1894. The post office at Chapman was discontinued in 1904, and local mail was sent to Henderson. Chapman's population grew from a reported figure of twelve in 1895 to 150 by 1940. From 1967 to 2000 its population was estimated at twenty. In the mid-1980s the community had three businesses and a community center.
Garland Roscoe Farmer, The Realm of Rusk County (Henderson, Texas: Henderson Times, 1951). Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "CHAPMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc44), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.