CHAPPEL, TEXAS. Chappel, previously known as Harrell's Chappel, is at the intersection of Farm roads 1031 and 501, near Cherokee Creek and five miles southwest of Bend in southeastern San Saba County. On November 7, 1854, David Matsler and his family settled near the site of future Chappel. Other early settlers in the area included the Rumsey and Poplin families, Ambrose Casey, E. M. Boyett, and three brothers, William A., David Donald, and James Milton Low. By the 1860s settlers were involved in stock raising, irrigation, and chairmaking. In the late 1880s Joab B. Harrell donated fifteen acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The new church building also served as a school until 1892, when a separate structure was erected for the school. The Keeney (Keeney's) post office was established beside Davis Creek near Chappel in 1879. The post office was operated by George Keeney in his home until a flood destroyed it on July 8, 1880. Mail was then sent to San Saba until 1891, when the Richards (Richard) post office was opened near Davis Creek in Mrs. Sabina A. Self's home. This office lasted less than a year because of a flood. Mail was routed to the Bend post office until the Chappel post office was opened in 1897. This post office was named after the church and served the community until 1917. In 1914 Chappel had two general stores and a population of twenty-five. The Chappel post office was reestablished in 1918 and operated until 1941. The estimated population of Chappel was sixty-nine from 1925 until 1939, when it fell to fifty. The number of local businesses also declined from ten in 1933 to two in 1939. Although the estimated population of Chappel remained at fifty from 1939 to 1964, the number of businesses fell to one in 1945. After 1964 there were no rated businesses reported in Chappel. The community's estimated population from 1966 through 2000 was twenty-five. In 1984 a church and a cemetery remained at the site.
Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969). San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "CHAPPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc45), accessed January 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.