CHITA, TEXAS. Chita is on Farm Road 355 some nine miles southwest of Groveton in southwestern Trinity County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, but a community did not begin to develop there until the 1890s. A post office was established for the community in 1895, and a school was founded the next year. By 1914 Chita had a general store, a cotton gin and gristmill, a stone and sand company, and a reported population of sixty. Its post office closed in 1929, but in the mid-1930s Chita still had two businesses and a population of seventy-five. The community's population declined during the 1950s and 1960s but then began to grow because of the community's proximity to Lake Livingston. In 1990 Chita was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of seventy-five. In 2000 the population reached eighty-one.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CHITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc53), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.