CHOCOLATE BAYOU, TX
CHOCOLATE BAYOU, TEXAS. Chocolate Bayou is on Farm Road 2917 between State Highway 35 and Farm Road 2403 in eastern Brazoria County. It is close to the bayou from which it takes its name on land originally in the Stephen F. Austin and James Franklin Perryqqv land grant. Emily Perryqv, who operated the Peach Point plantation on land near the site of present Chocolate Bayou, was Stephen F. Austin's sister. Although little remains of the ruins of the plantation, in its day it was a producer of cotton and sugar. In 1911 Chocolate Bayou received a post office. In 1914 it was on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway and had twenty-five residents, a general store, and two hay shippers. By 1925 Chocolate Bayou had a population of 150. Oil was discovered in 1946. In 1950 the population was fifty, and the post office had been discontinued. The community had lost its business by 1966, and in 1990 had sixty residents. The population remained the same in 2000.
Abner J. Strobel, The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County (Houston, 1926; rev. ed., Houston: Bowman and Ross, 1930; rpt., Austin: Shelby, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Damon, "CHOCOLATE BAYOU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc54), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.