Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CHRIESMAN, TX

CHRIESMAN, TEXAS. Chriesman is on the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway just west of State Highway 36 seven miles northwest of Caldwell in northwestern Burleson County. In the 1830s Alexander Thomson, Jr., brought a group of colonists to the site. They named the settlement Yellow Prairie for the high yellow grass that covered the surrounding prairie. The community became a station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe when it built through the area in 1880. Yellow Prairie had a post office from 1880 to 1884. In 1885 the post office and community were renamed Chriesman for Horatio Chriesman, a pioneer in the region who spent the last years of his life in the area. The railroad station in the community continued to be known as Yellow Prairie through the early decades of the twentieth century. In 1890 Chriesman had an estimated population of 100, a school, a steam gristmill and cotton gin, and Methodist and Presbyterian churches. In 1904 a cucumber salting station was established in the community by the Price-Booker Manufacturing Company of San Antonio. In 1914 Chriesman had an estimated 175 inhabitants, telephone service, a bank, four general stores, and a cotton gin. The community's population declined from 200 in 1925 to 100 in 1930 and to fifty in 1950. The cucumber plant closed by 1930, when the community had eight businesses. The population was estimated at thirty inhabitants from 1972 through 2000. In 1988 the community had two churches, a number of scattered dwellings, and the Chriesman cemetery on a hill to the east of town.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).

Mark Odintz

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Mark Odintz, "CHRIESMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc56), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.