CIPRES, TEXAS. Cipres is a mile west of Farm Road 1017 on the Rico gas and oilfield in northwestern Hidalgo County. The area was in Rancho Tale Perez until after 1890. In the early 1900s the land was subdivided for farming, and in 1909 J. H. Hinojosa planted cypress trees around a commissary and supply store. A post office, named for the trees, operated from 1913 until 1955 in a room in the ranch house. From 1925 through 1948 the community had one business and a population of twenty-five. In August 1990 a metal storage building, a small trailer, corrals, and a windmill remained at the site. Sidewalks and five salt cedars mark the former location of the house. Twenty people lived in the vicinity in 1990 and in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CIPRES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc58), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.