CLAYTONVILLE, TX (FISHER COUNTY)
CLAYTONVILLE, TEXAS (Fisher County). Claytonville is just west of Farm Road 419 ten miles southwest of Roby in southwestern Fisher County. It has had five different locations in the sparsely settled section of the county. The first school was conducted in a tent on the Walter Caves place in 1888, and the post office was established the same year. The office took its name from Rube Clayton, manager of an area ranch established in 1883. The community's meeting place was the attractive Eighteen Springs, the water source for the area. The post office closed before 1940, when the community had a school, three businesses, and sixty people. The population was twenty-one in 1980 and 1990.
Lora Blount, A Short History of Fisher County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1947). E. L. Yeats and E. H. Shelton, History of Fisher County, (n.p.: Feather, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CLAYTONVILLE, TX (FISHER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc69), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.