CORBET, TEXAS. Corbet is on Farm Road 2452 six miles southwest of Corsicana between Briar and Cedar creeks in Navarro County. It is bisected by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway. The area was first settled by a Colonel Cook in 1866 as a community named Cook's Schoolhouse. After the railroad arrived, the station was first named Waters and later renamed Corbet. The post office operated from 1893 through 1929. Corbet had one school in 1906, when it had an enrollment of fifty-seven students and one teacher. By 1914 Corbet had a population of 300. In 1945 it had two stores and a population of 100. In 1970 the population had decreased to eighty, where it remained through 2000.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Allen, "CORBET, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc93), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.