CORDELE, TEXAS. Cordele is on Farm Road 530 in northeastern Jackson County. In 1897 the New York and Texas Land Company sold acreage along Sandy Creek, which was later renamed Brushy Creek, to settlers. Soon after, a Dr. Stapleton—who was the settlement's first postmaster—named the town after his hometown, Cordele, Georgia. By 1914 Cordele had become a shipping center with a post office, but by 1925 the community had only eight residents. The local population gradually increased and reached 176 in 1968. From 1972 through 1990 the number of residents at Cordele was reported as seventy-four. In 2000 the population was fifty-one.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "CORDELE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc94), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.