CORLEY, TEXAS. Corley is on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway three miles west of Maud in southern Bowie County. The community was named for John C. Corley, an early settler. A post office was established there in 1882 with J. Carr Turner as postmaster, and by 1884 the town had a sawmill, a gristmill, a gin, a store, a hotel, and a population of seventy-five. By 1890 the community's population had reached 100, but in 1896 it was reported as only fifty. The Corley post office was discontinued in the 1950s. In 1982 the town had a reported population of thirty-five and no rated businesses. The population was still reported at thirty-five in 2000.
J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CORLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc96), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.