CORNETT, TEXAS. Cornett is on Farm Road 2888 ten miles northeast of Hughes Springs in northwestern Cass County. It was settled before the Civil War and was first named Hamil's Chapel and then Troup, for Troup County, Georgia, the original home of many of its early settlers. The name was changed to Cornett in honor of the G. T. Cornett family, who owned land in the area. A post office was established at the community in 1901 and operated until 1906. In 1933 Cornett had two rated businesses and a population of fifty-three. By 1964 it reported forty residents and no rated businesses. In 1986 Cornett had an estimated population of thirty, a church, and a community center. In 1990 and 2000 its population was still listed as thirty.
History of Cass County People (Atlanta, Texas: Cass County Genealogical Society, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CORNETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc97), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.