CYPRESS, TX (FRANKLIN COUNTY)
CYPRESS, TEXAS (Franklin County). Cypress is on State Highway 37 some ten miles southwest of Mount Vernon in southwestern Franklin County. It was settled in the 1850s and named for Cypress Creek, which ran through the area before the impoundment of Lake Cypress Springs. In 1896 the community had a one-room, one-teacher school with an enrollment of fifty. During the 1930s Cypress had two businesses, a church, a school, and a cemetery. In 1990 the community had an estimated population of twenty and no rated businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.
Billy Hicks and Doris Meek, comps., Historical Records of Franklin County, Texas (Mount Vernon, Texas: Franklin County Historical Survey Committee, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CYPRESS, TX (FRANKLIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hncav), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.