DALBY SPRINGS, TX
DALBY SPRINGS, TEXAS. Dalby Springs is a community eleven miles from DeKalb in southwestern Bowie County. It was named for the nearby Dalby Springs. Settlement in the area began in 1839 with the arrival of Warren Dalby and his family. In the 1850s the springs were discovered to have medicinal properties, and as word spread, people began to visit the area to drink from the springs. Buildings were erected to accommodate travelers, and in 1860 a post office was established there, with Joseph G. Dalby as postmaster. By 1884 the town had a church, a school, five mills, five gins, and a population estimated at 250. During the 1890s a newspaper called the Guest was published there. By 1900 the community's population had fallen to 186. It continued to be reported at about that level until the 1950s, when it fell to fifty. In 1984 Dalby Springs reported an estimated population of sixty and no rated businesses. In 1990 and in 2000 its population was estimated at 141.
Bowie County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DALBY SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd03), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.