DELAWARE BEND, TX
DELAWARE BEND, TEXAS. Delaware Bend is near the banks of Lake Texoma seven miles north of Dexter in northeastern Cooke County. Settlement of the site occurred in the late 1870s, during the growth of the cattle industry. Delaware Bend had a post office, named for the bend of the Red River where the community was located, from 1872 to 1876. A school was operating there by 1884. Delaware Bend subsequently served as a church community for area farmers and ranchers. In 1936 it had a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1940s the community lost three-fourths of its land to Lake Texoma, and the school was consolidated with the Dexter school district. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the population was estimated at twenty-five. In 1963 only a cemetery was shown on county maps for Delaware Bend, but by 1966 the population was estimated at fifty. In 1988 the town reported forty residents and no businesses.
Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948. A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "DELAWARE BEND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd07), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.