DELMITA, TEXAS. Delmita is four miles south and a mile east of San Isidro in northeast Starr County. Nicéforo G. Peña, Sr., founded the community in 1919 and named it Zaragosa. He moved his family there from Santa Theresa ranch, opened a general store, and soon started a post office. The mail carrier brought the mail by horseback from Linn three times a week; he exchanged horses in Zaragosa, continued his route to Rio Grande City, and brought more mail when he returned and got his own horse back. In 1931 Zaragosa had to change its name, because the mail was often confused with that of Saragosa in Reeves County. According to some records, on April 1, 1931, the name was changed to Delmita, a designation constructed from letters drawn by Peña's seven sons. The Texas Almanac, however, listed Zaragosa as a separate community with a population and business figures distinct from those of Delmita from 1931 to 1948; thereafter, Zaragosa no longer appeared in the almanac.
The community is on a paved county road halfway between the old site of El Centro on Farm Road 2294 and La Reforma on Farm Road 1017. It had two stores and a population of twenty in 1940, when it was the leading community of northeastern Starr County. However, in the late 1940s the schools of the northeastern part of the county consolidated and placed their headquarters in San Isidro; later, when it grew time for the Delmita and San Isidro Catholic churches to rebuild, they also consolidated, and the new church was built at San Isidro, a community that continued to grow slowly while Delmita shrank to a few homes and a single store. A new post office opened in 1991, and one star rural route still ran from the community. In 2000 the population was fifty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "DELMITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd08), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.