DERMOTT, TEXAS. Dermott, on U.S. Highway 84 in northwestern Scurry County, was named for Pete McDermott, who donated the land for the town and established a store there in the 1890s. A post office was granted in 1902 with William H. Smith as postmaster. Like many small Texas towns, Dermott literally followed the railroads. The town moved first to be near the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific tracks; subsequently, although Dermott had no depot, the trains stopped to load cattle and cotton. Sometime before 1915 the town was moved to the Santa Fe tracks, where cattle-loading pens were built. With the Scurry County oil boom of 1949 the town's fortunes rose, but they fell with the bust in 1951. In 1990 Dermott still maintained a post office, though the population had fallen to five.
Scurry County Historical Survey Committee, Historical Markers in Scurry County (Snyder, Texas, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "DERMOTT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd13), accessed May 26, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.