DIXON, TEXAS. Dixon is on U.S. Highway 69 six miles from Greenville in southeastern Hunt County. It was established in 1880, apparently with the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in the area, and had become a shipping point on the line by 1885. A post office began operations in Dixon in 1881, and by 1890 the settlement had a population of 180, a school, and two churches. The post office closed in 1924, and by 1933 the population had fallen to eighty-four and the businesses to two. Dixon had a population of fifty in 1952 and thirty-one from 1976 to 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "DIXON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd29), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.