DRANE, TEXAS. Drane, on Farm Road 744 six miles west of Corsicana in west central Navarro County, was founded in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1883, and by 1892 the community had a population of forty. At its height in the 1890s Drane had a flour mill and cotton gin, Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist churches, and a number of houses. Its estimated population in 1896 was seventy-five. The Drane post office closed in 1906, but by the mid-1930s the community still had two stores, a church, a school, and several houses. After World War II, however, its businesses, church, and school all closed, and by the mid-1960s only a few widely scattered houses remained in the area. In 1990 Drane was a dispersed community with a reported population of sixteen. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DRANE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd41), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.