DUNLAP, TX (TRAVIS COUNTY)
DUNLAP, TEXAS (Travis County). Dunlap is on Farm Road 969 twelve miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. It was named for William Dunlap Hunter, who became postmaster when the community was granted a post office in 1886. The post office was discontinued in 1901, and mail for the community was sent to Austin. In the early 1890s Dunlap had two stores and thirty residents. Its population increased to fifty by the early 1930s, and to 150 by the late 1940s. From the mid-1960s through 2000 Dunlap reported a population of eighty.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "DUNLAP, TX (TRAVIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd53), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.