DIRGIN, TEXAS. Dirgin is on Farm Road 2658 fourteen miles northeast of Henderson in northeastern Rusk County. It received a post office in 1898 and in 1907 had a school with thirty-three white pupils and one teacher and another with ninety-two black pupils and one teacher. In 1914 Dirgin had an estimated 100 inhabitants, two general stores, and a sawmill. The post office closed in 1918, and by 1933 the community had declined to twenty-five inhabitants and a single business. In 1940 a church, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings were at the site. Dirgin's population grew to fifty in the 1940s and 1950s but had declined to twelve by the 1960s and was still estimated at twelve through 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "DIRGIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnddl), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.