ECHO, TX (COLEMAN COUNTY)
ECHO, TEXAS (Coleman County). Echo, on State Highway 206 four miles northeast of Coleman in central Coleman County, developed around a store established in the 1870s. In 1881 William Dibrell bought the site as part of his purchase of the Miles and Gholson ranch and renamed it Echo for the echo that resounded on a cliff at Home Creek. The Echo post office opened in 1910. The population in 1940 was seventy-five, and the town had a post office and school. Since then both the school and the post office have closed. The population was sixteen from 1970 through 2000.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "ECHO, TX (COLEMAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne05), accessed September 15, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.