ELWOOD, TX (FANNIN COUNTY)
ELWOOD, TEXAS (Fannin County). Elwood is on Farm Road 2554 fifteen miles north of Bonham in north central Fannin County near the Oklahoma border. The community formed in the late 1860s and early 1870s when James S. Baker, a Presbyterian minister, and his nephew, William R. Baker, established homesteads in the area. Elwood soon became a community center for area farmers. From 1871 to 1909 it had a post office, and in the 1930s it had a school, a church, a cemetery, at least one business, and a number of dwellings. From the 1930s through 1990 Elwood's population was reported at between thirty and forty. The 1987 county highway map showed only a cemetery at the site. In 2000 the population was thirty-one.
Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ELWOOD, TX (FANNIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne16), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.