EMBLEM, TEXAS. Emblem, a farming community on State Highway 71 some twelve miles northwest of Sulphur Springs in northwestern Hopkins County, was founded by G. D. Kennemore in 1876. A Baptist church was organized at the settlement in 1883. T. J. Ross had a store and gin there and became postmaster when a post office was established in 1892. By 1905 the community had a school, which that year had an enrollment of forty-eight. The Emblem post office closed in 1906. By the mid-1930s the community had two churches, a school, and a number of scattered houses. The school was later closed, but in 1985 the community still had two churches and a cemetery. In 1990 and 2000 Emblem reported a population of fifty-two.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "EMBLEM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne18), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.