ENGLISH, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)
ENGLISH, TEXAS (Red River County). English, eleven miles northeast of Clarksville in northeastern Red River County, was named for Oliver English, who in 1840 bought land that included what is now the English townsite, and Simeon English, his uncle, who brought three families and thirty slaves to establish plantations in the area in 1852. By 1860 the 2,000-acre English plantation, hedged by bois d'arc, had its own cotton gin and hauled the cotton to Jefferson for shipment. The gin burned in 1862. A post office, established with Thomas W. Anderson, Jr., as postmaster, operated at the community from 1890 to 1906, when it was replaced by rural delivery from Annona. English reported a population of 100 in 1910 and about ninety-two from 1920 through 2000. The Oliver English home has been restored.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "ENGLISH, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne20), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.