ERIN, TEXAS. Erin is on Walnut Creek at the intersection of Farm roads 252 and 1005, eleven miles south of Jasper in central Jasper County. Another Erin, also known as Richardson's, Jasper's Mills, and Evadale, was located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and the Neches River in southwestern Jasper County and had a post office from 1847 to 1862. Apparently this office was discontinued during the Civil War. The present Erin appeared in 1882. It has also been known as Faircloth, for its first postmaster, and Big Creek, a name for which application was made to postal officials. In 1885 the community had a population of 100, three churches, and two steam sawmill-cotton gins and shipped wool, hides, and cotton. By 1896 it had one general store and a population of fifty, which shrank to thirty-five by 1914; the post office was discontinued in 1923. The cotton gin was discontinued under the acreage-reduction program in 1935. State highway maps of 1936 showed a cemetery, a school, and scattered dwellings at the townsite. In 1934 Erin had a population of forty and a business. The population was estimated at fifty in 1949. In 1984 Boyett Cemetery, two buildings, and scattered dwellings remained at the townsite. In 2000 Erin's population was estimated at forty.