ETHEL, TEXAS. Ethel is on Farm Road 902 fourteen miles southwest of Sherman in southwestern Grayson County. The community developed in the late 1850s as ranchers and lumbermen converged. John Dishman constructed a gin, and a school was built on the ranch of S. A. Schott. In 1885 a post office opened; the name Ethel was submitted by W. H. Burgin, who owned the general store and became the first postmaster. By 1900 the number of residents had increased to eighty-one. The post office closed in 1902. From 1930 until 1990 the population was estimated at twenty-five. In 2000 the population was forty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ETHEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne28), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.