FAIRY, TEXAS. Fairy, at the junction of Farm roads 219 and 1602 in northern Hamilton County, was first known as Martin's Gap for James Martin, an early settler who took an oxcart through the mountain gap. The town was named for Fairy Fort, the daughter of Confederate Army captain Battle Fort, when the post office was established in 1884. Fairy had a cotton gin from 1900 to about 1936 and schools, churches, and businesses serving the greater ranching and farming community. In 1947 Fairy had a post office, three churches, three businesses, and 150 people. The post office closed in 1957, and the Fairy school district was consolidated with the Hamilton schools in 1967. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was thirty-one.
Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "FAIRY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf05), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.