FAULKNER, TEXAS. Faulkner is on Farm Road 906 nine miles east of Arthur City and nineteen miles northeast of Paris in northeastern Lamar County. It was probably established in the early twentieth century and was named for Ira Faulkner, owner of a local store and sawmill. The 1936 county highway map shows farmhouses lining the road at Faulkner and a factory on the outskirts, but no sawmill. By 1951 the factory and some of the farmhouses had disappeared, and other farmhouses had been abandoned. In 1980 the name of the community no longer appeared on the county highway map. In 2000 the population was forty-eight. The name Faulkner has also sometimes been applied to the community of Pin Hook, 3½ miles to the southeast.
A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986). William A. Owens, This Stubborn Soil (New York: Scribner, 1966). Fred Tarpley, Place Names of Northeast Texas (Commerce: East Texas State University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert M. Towle, "FAULKNER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf14), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.