FOARD CITY, TX
FOARD CITY, TEXAS. Foard City, on Farm Road 263 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe tracks nine miles south of Crowell in south central Foard County, was established after the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway was built through the county in 1908. In 1910 F. R. Lefevre donated land for a school and a cemetery, and a one-room schoolhouse was moved a short distance from what had been known as Harrisonville. Eventually Foard City had both elementary and secondary schools, but in 1939 its schools closed. The community's post office, dating from 1907, closed in 1955, as did its only store, leaving a grain elevator, a church, and a few residents. In 1968 the church disbanded, and most of the remaining residents moved their houses to Crowell. The population of Foard City was reported as ten from 1980 through 2000.
Bailey Phelps, They Loved the Land: Foard County History (Quanah, Texas: Quanah Tribune-Chief, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "FOARD CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf27), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.