GUNSIGHT, TEXAS. Gunsight, in southern Stephens County, was named for the nearby Gunsight Mountains. It was settled in 1879 and gained a post office in 1880 at J. W. Shepard's store. The community's population was fifty in 1890 and grew to 150 in 1920 because of the oil boom and the town's location near the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway. During the 1920s Gunsight lost its railroad station and post office. Its population was reported as six from 1980 through 2000.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GUNSIGHT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng40), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.