HARBIN, TEXAS. Harbin, on State Highway 847 four miles east of Dublin in southwest Erath County, was settled in the late 1860s and may have been named for an early settler who about 1886 gave land for a church. Before 1900 W. R. Jennings and B. E. Robbins operated a store and a gin there. Harbin gained rail service when the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad was constructed in the 1890s. A post office operated from 1900 to 1905. By 1947 the community had two stores, a school, a church, and eighty people. By 1980 the population had fallen to twenty-one. At that time the post office was still open. Through 2000 the population remained an estimated twenty-one.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HARBIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh08), accessed March 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.