HINCKLEY, TEXAS. Hinckley is at the intersection of Farm Road 1499 and U.S. Highway 271, on the Burlington Northern line four miles north of Paris in Lamar County. The community was named for the engineer who superintended construction of the Paris and Great Northern Railroad in 1887. A post office was established there in 1902, and mail was delivered daily until it closed in 1906. In the mid-1930s Hinckley had a number of scattered dwellings, and in the mid-1950s its population was estimated at twenty-five. By 1984 the community had two businesses and a few scattered dwellings, and in 1990 it had an estimated population of forty. The population remained at forty in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Shannon Nunnelley, "HINCKLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh28), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.