HINKLE'S FERRY, TX
HINKLE'S FERRY, TEXAS. Hinkle's Ferry is located at the point where Farm Road 2611 crosses the San Bernard River, six miles south of Brazoria in southwestern Brazoria County. The community was established around an old ferry crossing. J. V. Hinkle was postmaster and general-store owner in 1884, when the community shipped cotton, sugar, and molasses. The community's post office was established in 1877 and was discontinued in 1914. By 1896 the community had a population of thirty-five, a gristmill and gin, several general stores, and a Methodist church. That year Hinkle's Ferry also had a school with one teacher and eleven students. The 1936 county highway map showed two businesses and numerous dwellings at the townsite, but a 1983 map showed only a grain elevator there. In the early 1990s Hinkle's Ferry reported a population of thirty-five.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kenneth Kohrs, "HINKLE'S FERRY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh30), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.