HOLLY SPRINGS, TX (JASPER COUNTY)
HOLLY SPRINGS, TEXAS (Jasper County). Holly Springs, also known as Grange, is on U.S. Highway 190 seven miles southeast of Jasper in extreme eastern Jasper County. It was settled in 1850 four miles east of its present location in what was then Newton County. After the Civil War the postmaster of the Holly Springs community moved to a new home on the Jasper-Newton road, and the post office was transferred to Jasper County. By 1890 the community had a gristmill and gin and a general store, and by 1896 it had a population of 100, three churches, three flour mills and gins, a cotton gin, a general store, and a district school with forty pupils and one teacher. The Holly Springs post office operated from 1900 to 1901, closed for a year, and operated again from January through November of 1902. In 1905 the community had two schools with two teachers and forty-one white pupils, and one school with two teachers and eighty-two black pupils. The 1936 county highway map showed a school, two churches, and two factories in the community. Holly Springs reported a population of fifty from 1943 to 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "HOLLY SPRINGS, TX (JASPER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh37), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.