HIX, TEXAS. Hix is on the west bank of the Brazos River near Farm Road 2000 eleven miles northeast of Caldwell in far northeastern Burleson County. The site was settled by the families of Benjamin Porter and Merifield Phegley in 1847. Initially the community was called Fraimville in honor of the Fraim family, another group of early settlers. The Macedonia Baptist Church, the third-oldest church in the county, was organized there in 1852. The town's first post office operated from 1871 to 1874. A Masonic lodge was established at the community in 1872 but was disbanded in 1886. A school was built in the township in the late 1800s. A second post office, called Hix, operated at the town from 1894 until 1909, when the mail was routed through Gause. The community had a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a grocery store in 1894. In 1968 Hix reported a population of thirty-five and no businesses. Its population remained an estimated thirty-five through 2000.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "HIX, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnhnc), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.