IDA, TEXAS. Ida is on Farm Road 697 seven miles southeast of Sherman in east central Grayson County. Settlement of the community occurred in the late 1870s, and in 1884 a post office opened. By 1890 Ida had fifty residents, a general store, and a church. The community center also provided area farmers with a gristmill and a gin. Ida remained a small church community throughout the twentieth century. In 1903 its post office closed. By the mid-1930s its population had decreased to twenty-five. From World War II through 1990 the estimated population of Ida was reported at fifty. By 2000 the population had dropped to thirty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "IDA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni03), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.