IKE, TEXAS. Ike is on Farm Road 878 three miles north of Waxahachie in central Ellis County. It was originally located near the banks of Grove Creek and probably settled sometime in the late 1880s or early 1890s. For years rumors circulated that the area near Ike was a favorite hiding place for the cash and goods stolen by bankrobbers. An Ike post office began in 1898 and was closed five years later. Throughout its history Ike has served as a school and church community for area farmers. From the mid-1920s until the 1960s the reported population was twenty-five. That number decreased to ten in the 1970s and remained at that figure through 2000.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "IKE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni04), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.